Sunday, May 4, 2008

Pet Peeves and the Peevish

In the last couple of days I have seen quite a few of the many pet peeves that I have. While at work I see a lot of things that really bother me. Here are a few:

I detest cab drivers and limo drivers (when I say limo, I don't mean a stretch limo, I mean a car that is nicer than a taxi but used for the same purpose. They usually don't have a meter for charging per mile, but an amount is agreed upon before departure). Both cab drivers and limo drivers have to have clients in order for their business to work. That means that people need rides before the drivers get business. Everyday I am asked at least 10 times if I can get a cab or limo for them. I always say the same thing:
 "The bellmen are in charge of arranging taxis and limos." They usually thank me for the information and go inside. That isn't what bothers me. It is when the taxis or limos come to pick these people up and think that the driveway is theirs. Either they will come in the wro
ng way and clog up my system or they will sit and wait for the passengers to come out while clogging up my system, sometimes both. Just last night something happened that was out of the ordinary and very bothersome. A guy came in a nice black suburban to pick up some people from the hotel and he drove in the right way, but the wrong way. Let me explain...he came in going the right way on the drive, but in revers
e. We were pretty busy at the time, which always gets me a little rushed with adrenaline. When I saw what this guy was doing I immediately ran up to his car and told him that he had to get out of the way. He told me that he was just going to be picking up and then leaving. I was persistent in telling him that he was only causing problems and that if a car came up behind (in front of) him he wasn't going to be able to get out and they wouldn't be able to get in. When I asked him what he was going to do if that were to happen, he just tried to reassure me that his passengers were on their way out. I was vexed. What happened next was only to be assumed, two cars came barreling in and they had no place to go. I was yelling at the suburban guy to get his car off my drive and he responded by doing nothing. All I was  thinking about was how easy it would be for me to break his face. I had to ask the two cars to back out while the idiot driver was wasting their time and mine. After another minute or two the first car that had come in didn't want to wait anymore (who can blame him?) and came back into the drive. I directed him into the wrong side of the drive so they could get out of the car and into the hotel. The driver of the suburban then left after his passengers got in and I then placed him on my black list, which means he wont be getting any calls from the hotel for pickups, which means he lost business, which means you don't mess with me. It is a good thing the bellmen like me more than the drivers.

A couple of days ago the front entrance to the hotel was being painted. Why is it that when there is a sign that says "Wet Paint" nobody believes it? Almost every person that walked by had to touch the paint and see if is was actually wet. It wouldn't surprise me to see people react the same way to a sign that said "Danger: Radiation Risk." Some people are really dumb.

I work with a kid named Stephen who is a little odd. He is really good at asking really dumb or annoying questions. First of all, he thinks it will impress me if he tells me every little thing that he is doing, "I'm going to take this car and put it right here, is that okay?" "I'm going to go give that guy a ticket, okay?" He also says "thank you" all the time, which you might think is nice and proper, but it is weird when I say "Stephen, take that car down to the garage" and he responds by saying "Okay, thank you." I told him last night to park a car in a vacant spot on the drive. After trying various times to get the car into the spot that was now obvious wouldn't fit someone told him to park it somewhere else, he responds by saying "But Parry told me to park it here, right Parry?" Even though it was kind of funny, I told him that me telling him to put it there wasn't going to make it fit, "Put it somewhere else Stephen." There is something else that bothers me about him, he feels the need to know every little thing that is going on. "How's your sandwich Parry?" "What kind is it?" "You don't like tomatoes?" "What kind of bread is that?" ha ha..."GO PARK A CAR STEPHEN!!"

I love my job a lot, really. I enjoy being around the guys that I work with, for the most part. Stephen, although a little annoying is one of the hardest workers I have and he will do whatever it takes to get things done. Even though he bothers me sometimes, I really like him. I gave him a hug yesterday because sometimes I am kind of hard on him. I hope it gave him feelings of joy...I'm sure it did. He tries so hard to please me, he deserves a hug every once and while to reassure him that his tries aren't entirely in vain. 

Wikipedia explains that the term "pet peeve" was first used in 1919, how the heck could they possibly know that? That bugs me. 



5 Comments:

Blogger Becky said...

One of my pet peeves is people who tell me their pet peeves. Just kidding.

May 4, 2008 at 5:15 PM  
Blogger Adelheide said...

I completely agree with your lack of love for taxi and limo drivers. They tend to stop in the middle of the road to pick up, drop off, turn around and don't care that traffic is lined up for 3 blocks behind them because they're getting their fare.

May 4, 2008 at 10:51 PM  
Blogger The Findarle Family said...

I know from experience that one of your pet peeves is people going in the wrong way of your driveway... except that there are no arrows and there is a very small uninviting driveway(the right way) compared to the very large inviting driveway where the valet person stands. Why wouldnt you think to go straight to them? anyway I will never go in the wrong way again! You made it clear that it bugged you! haha I still like you a lot and I like how youput fun pictures up on your blog and research things like when pet peeved was first used or whatever

May 5, 2008 at 2:45 PM  
Blogger Adam said...

I hope Stephen never reads your blog. He'll really need a hug if he does.

May 7, 2008 at 5:44 PM  
Blogger Hotzebra said...

I think my blog is of interest. But somehow I didn't make your list.It must've been an oversight.

May 17, 2008 at 8:46 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home