Sunday, March 23, 2008

Spring Break and More Crosswords

Spring break is officially over. I was sitting in my living room thinking about the idea of spring break and I had a couple of thoughts. In high school, spring break was a time for students to head down to Cancún  or some other exotic place and do things that create a basis for story telling for weeks after. Whether it is somebody who was puking the whole week because of alcohol poisoning or you got a glimpse of a Maculosus Angel fish on one of your scuba diving adventures, spring break has always made me think that I had to do something freaking awesome. I want to share with you what I did for my spring break:

I took off for Las Vegas on the Friday that spring break began. I drove by myself because I couldn't find anybody to go with me. My purpose of going to Las Vegas was not to create a basis for story telling although it seems to have been an added bonus. I went down for the wedding of Taylor Rice to Amy Zockell. I spent a lot of time with the groom the night before he was to wed. We spent his last night as a bachelor on The Strip. It turns out that The Strip is not the best place to go for fun when you are a Mormon trying to st
ay worthy to go into the temple the next day. In fact, I think the only thing we did was walk around in circles trying to agree on what to do. Then we went home. We didn't even go and see the fountain show at the bellagio. 
Lame. I spent the next day (saturday) doing three things. First, I went to the wed
ding and said a quick hello and a quick goodbye after the ceremony. I always thought it was weird that so much time was spent at the temple after the sealing was done...pictures really shouldn't take as long as they do. After the wedding I went home and did some work on my car with my dad. A couple of weeks ago I w
ent in for an oil change and 30 minutes later they came out and gave me a list of things that I needed to fix on my car. Some of the things on the list were bulging hoses and bad brakes. Thinking that the mechanics knew what they were talking about, my dad and I propped the car up on the jack and took the wheels off to look at the brakes.
 After about an hour we still couldn't get the metal pieces that were covering the brakes off, so we had to go buy a couple of tools in order to even look at the breaks. While we were at the auto shop we went ahead and bought the brakes so that we didn't have to come back. When we finally got the metal pieces off we found that the brakes didn't need to be replaced at all. The only thing we accomplished was spending some quality time together doing manly things like talking about lug nuts and tire irons. As for the h
oses, they weren't bulging enough to be called bulging...they were more like a little swollen. We put the wheels back on and took the brakes back.

Later that night I went to the reception that was held at Amy's house. It was fun to see people that I haven't seen in a long time. Other than that it was boring...j/k.

Now...one last thing before I end this post:

The last couple of weeks have been good. I feel my happiness coming back and my broken heart is healing. I actually started talking to girls again. Just yesterday I decided that I was going to talk to a girl that I have wanted to talk to in my Mass Communications class. The class starts at 12:20pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I got there about 10 minutes late. The door is at the back of the class, which has stadium seating with about 30 rows. When I walked through the door, the first thing I did was look for the girl I was to talk to. After a few seconds of searching I found her sitting in the very back row about 8 feet away from where I was standing. I also saw that there was a guy sitting at the entrance to the row which made me think twice about sitting next to her.
 
I didn't want some random guy stop me from 
talking to this girl so I came up with a plan b. I climbed over the back and sat in the chair to her right. It was pretty weird. It was pretty obvious that I wanted to sit by her...there were like a billion open seats everywhere else in the class. She looked at me and as I sat down she said "hi." I quickly returned the greeting with "hey." I thought it started out really well. After about 40 minutes I decided that I needed to say something else. She
 wasn't really paying attention to the lecture, instead she had some book that looked like it could have been a romance novel. I thought that was kind of cool...at least Mom would like her. I looked around at everyone in the class and counted how many people looked like they were paying attention, then I leaned over to this girl and gave her my results:

Me: "I just counted 7 people who are paying attention." 
Her: "Really? That's a lot."
Me: "Yeah, that is a lot."
Then: silence

It didn't exactly go as well as I had hoped, but I was still was determined to keep trying. After another couple of minutes the best idea came to my mind. I pulled out my computer and after getting online I found a website that has interactive crossword puzzles. I started to do one and noticed that she was eyeing my screen. Every time I would look away from the screen she would whip her head back into her book as if she was never peeping over at the puzzle. I finally asked her if she liked crosswords. She said that she did but wasn't very good at them. I pulled out the little table/desk thing that separated us and place my computer in between us and for the rest of the class period we worked on the puzzle together. After class I walked with her across campus until we reached the computer labs, at which point I said my goodbyes and set a date for Thursday at 12:20pm for another round of crosswords.

And that, my friends, is why crosswords are so cool.




5 Comments:

Blogger Zachariah Parry said...

Seems like for a mass communications class, you didn't communicate much.

Do you know her name?

I didn't think so.

You should get it tomorrow when you do your crossword puzzle. Then kiss her.

Then show her your blog.

And let her read this comment.

March 26, 2008 at 9:28 PM  
Blogger Eliza said...

You neglected to mention our super interesting lunch at Sweet Tomatoes in your Vegas Trip summary. That hurts a little. What is not noteworthy about doing crosswords while eating a mediocre buffet?

March 27, 2008 at 12:04 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

I guess my question is: Are you going to pass your class when you aren't paying attention? And if she reads romance novels you'd better marry her.

March 30, 2008 at 7:18 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

If you end up proposing to her, you should do it in crossword form. Make it easy, though, since she isn't good at crossword puzzles. It might be awkward if she never gets the question.

March 30, 2008 at 7:19 PM  
Blogger Taylor said...

Its Zockoll not Zockell! Thats ok though. Thanks for coming man. Im glad you caught the garter. You know what that means...Also! If anything happens between you and this girl, I claim to be the first person who saw you two together, cause I ran into you right when you came out of your class. Thats pretty cool.

March 30, 2008 at 9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home